Getting Started in Hill Climbing or Sprinting

A simple guide to the essential equipment and documentation needed to compete in National B Hill Climb and Sprint events.

A novice driver will be allowed to compete only in National B grade events until he or she has proved their ability to conduct themselves in a safe and proper manner, as observed at four events by the Clerk of the Course, before upgrading their licence to National A and ultimately to National A Open status, which will allow them to enter any event. A novice driver will not be allowed to drive any sports libre car or racing car over 2 litres on a B licence.

Required documents

  • Club membership. You will need to be a member of an active motor club recognised by the Motor Sports Association. The more prominent the club the more invitations you will receive to compete in other clubs' events. The Midland Automobile Club is excellent in this respect and members receive attractive discounts on entry fees at club events.
  • A National B competition licence. Obtained from the Motor Sports Association, Motor Sports House, Riverside Park, Colnbrook, Slough SL3 0HG. Phone: 01753 765000 or apply online at
  • With your new licence you will receive a copy of the MSA Yearbook, also known as the Blue Book, which contains all the information you need regarding procedures and specific car preparation required before competing in hill climb or sprint events.
  • Vehicle log book. As the name suggests, this is a documentary record of your car and its scrutineering history. Scrutineering failures will be recorded in this document and examined every time the car is presented at an event. This is available from MSA headquarters or most senior scrutineers on payment of a small fee. A log book is not needed if you are competing in a road registered road legal car, taxed and MOT tested.

Required protective equipment

  • Crash helmet of a type approved in the Blue book, lists should be checked carefully before purchasing, always buy the best equipment you can afford. Cost 300-500.
  • Protective fire resistant overalls, suitable types are listed in the Blue book. Again, purchase carefully to ensure a good fit. Cost can vary from 300 - 600.
  • The use of gloves has been mandatory since 2010.
  • Optional is the use of fire resistant underwear and special non slip shoes.